Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A New Beginning

I finally sat down today and finished a project which I had wanted to do for a long time. I partitioned my MacBook's hard drive, installed windows XP and made a dedicated mixing OS.

Unlike many people, I like to mix in a Windows environment - my DAW works better in windows, there are more free plugins, and many of my go-to applications/plugins are windows only.

The project went very well, no problems, no hang ups, and I had everything set up within a few hours. Now, I have the tools I like to use, and an environment that is dedicated to my work. For the past few months I had been working in OSX (which I love,) but I had not been able to use some of my precious plugins. :)

Now I know that some people will say that you should be able to work with whatever tools you are presented with - and I believe that I can, but I would argue that if the engineer is more comfortable with certain tools, then they don't get into the way of working, and he can work faster, more efficiently, and come up with better final product.

So, I'm happy now, and I'm very excited to mix a jazz session that I've had sitting around since last month.

No comments:

Post a Comment